Night Watch


I sat near the corner of the terrace where I had a good view of the night lights of the city.
Somewhat barely noticeable were the lights of the extension of Ortigas Avenue on the right side since they came in an almost straight pattern of two's.
Directly in front were the collaboration of lights of houses, buildings, and establishments, all lit up in their different tones of color, leading a few meters from where the house stood all the way up to as far as my sight can stretch. 
Ortigas Centre was somewhere there too, I'd say smack in between those other glows.
I guess Makati was most dominant with their bustling high-rise towers. 
One building had the highest and most identifying red light at its very top.
I couldn't make out exactly which is which though.
A couple of passenger planes flew over. One of them directed a slow swing to the right.
They had their lights too.
Back on the ground, far to my right, from a tall structure, had a cross, all lit up in blue.
If I'd walk, I'd probably be near the school where the church is, say about 15mins.
But that's not why I'm out tonight.
The reason I was out was for the stars.
I missed watching the stars.
I don't know at times, how long I've been gazing up at the night sky.
Although I have never had a comfortable chair to lay my back on and get a good view of the orchestra of heavenly bodies, I enjoyed it nevertheless.
I've managed to identify some of them, those twinkling wonders.
I drew a crude map before, with all my small notes and thoughts.
It's fascinating. 
I used to think that the reason they twinkle is that the light they emit travels at such speed for years, traveling back and forth.
But it has been traveling in years in fact and all the time. 
It's the refraction of the light when it hits layers of our atmosphere that causes them to twinkle.
Some of them still may continue to be blinking but for all we know, they may have already detonated into their spectacular supernova.
The Big Dipper.
Little Dipper.
Great Bear and Little Bear up in the northern sky.
It only came to my attention that that year about the dragon, there is even one between the famous dippers.
Maybe tomorrow night would be better.
This night proved unfortunately timed, the heavens were blanketed with clouds, with yet a few stars in view.
No sign of rain though.

Maybe a few more minutes I figured.
It was still a good quiet night and I loved every minute of the separateness.
Having a little quiet time for a change.

Popular Posts